We invite you to become a member of the Durham Society, a diverse group of community and business leaders who demonstrate a philanthropic commitment to sharing the importance of history, culture, science and industry in our community. Since 2004, the Durham Society has been investing in The Durham Museum and its home Union Station, which was revitalized under Charles Durham’s leadership and in 2016, received the designation of a National Historic Landmark.
Your generous contribution to the Durham Society will provide the critical support needed for the museum to thrive as a premier learning and entertainment destination in our region. Specifically, your gift will enable the museum to:
- Continue to build upon our relationships with the Smithsonian Institution, the Library of Congress, the National Archives, The Field Museum and other nationally-prominent organizations
- Secure future exhibitions years in advance, to enable some of the most sought-after traveling displays to visit our region
- Inform and engage thousands by providing immediate support to first-class exhibitions and education programs from across the nation
Your Durham Society membership will entitle you to exclusive benefits unique to The Durham Museum:
- Unlimited admission to the museum and discounts on educational programming and gift shop purchases
- Recognition of your generous contribution within the museum’s Concourse Gallery
- Recognition of your generous support in The Durham Museum’s Annual Report
- Invitations to exclusive Durham Society events, exhibition previews and guest lecture presentations throughout the year
- A unique Smithsonian Fellows Package, which includes a magazine subscription, discounts on shopping and dining at the Smithsonian Institution and other Smithsonian Affiliates.
Levels of Giving
The Durham Society offers three membership levels, each of which includes the member benefits described above. Your generous contribution to any of these three levels is 100% tax-deductible.
Durham Society Founding Member
Strengthen your commitment by joining as a Founding Member through an initial contribution of $5,000 and a $1,000 renewing gift each subsequent year.
Durham Society Heritage Circle Member
Establish a lifetime relationship with the Durham Society by making a $25,000* contribution to the Heritage Circle, and ensure long-term sustainability for the museum and its programs.
*Heritage Circle members may choose to make an initial contribution of $5,000, with an annual contribution of $5,000 to be given each of the next four years.
For more information, please call Elisabeth Barrett, Manager of Individual Giving, at 402-444-5071.