In 1995, Charles and Marge Durham led a series of major renovations at the Western Heritage Museum that were
designed to restore an aging Union Station. Since then, the museum has evolved into one of the region’s premier
community resources. Today this institution, housed within the spectacularly revitalized Union Station, is known as
The Durham Museum.
In recent years, the success of The Durham Museum has been underscored by a unique group of individuals,
each of whom have recognized the power they possess to ensure the vibrancy of this one-of-a-kind facility. Since
2004, the Durham Society has represented the impact that one person can make in their community. Through their
participation and contributions, the members of the Durham Society have built the foundation for a museum that is
well poised for the future.
We invite you to become a member of the Durham Society, a diverse group of individuals who demonstrate a
philanthropic commitment to uniting the past, present and future.
Your generous contribution to the Durham Society will provide the critical support needed to make the museum’s
upcoming exhibits and programs a reality. Specifically, your gift will enable the museum to:
- Continue to build upon our relationships with the Smithsonian Institution,
the Library of Congress, the National Archives, The Field Museum and other nationally-prominent organizations
- Secure future exhibitions years in advance, to enable some of the most sought-after traveling displays to visit our region
- Inform and engage thousands by providing immediate support to first-class exhibitions and education programs from across the nation
- Your Durham Society membership will entitle you to exclusive benefits
unique to The Durham Museum:
- Unlimited admission to the museum and discounts on educational programming and gift shop purchases
- Recognition of your generous contribution within the museum’s South Gallery
- Recognition of your generous support in The Durham Museum’s Annual Report
- Invitations to exclusive Durham Society events, exhibition previews and
guest lecture presentations throughout the year
- A unique Smithsonian Fellows Package, which includes a magazine subscription, discounts on shopping and dining at the Smithsonian Institution and other Smithsonian Affiliates. Also, exclusive international and domestic novel programs and study tour opportunities are available.
The Durham Society offers three membership levels, each of which includes all of
the member benefits described in this invitation. Your generous contribution to any of these three levels is 100% tax-deductible.
Durham Society Member
Become a part of the Durham Society by making an initial contribution of $1,000 and a $1,000 renewing gift each subsequent year.
Durham Society Founding Member
Strengthen your commitment by joining as a Founding Member through an initial contribution of $5,000 and a
$1,000 renewing gift each subsequent year.
Durham Society Heritage Circle Member
Establish a lifetime relationship with the Durham Society by making a $25,000* contribution to the Heritage Circle,
and ensure long-term sustainability for the museum and its programs.
Without exception, our staff is committed to helping you make the most of your Durham Society membership.
We invite you to call us at (402) 444-5071 whenever we can be of service to you. Thank you for your consideration
to join the Durham Society. Your support is graciously appreciated by the entire museum team.
*Heritage Circle members may choose to make an initial contribution of $5,000, with an annual contribution of
$5,000 to be given each of the next four years.
For more information, please call Corey Wilson, Director of Development, at 402-444-5071.